Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hunter Benjamin Swatloski's Arrival

Yes, Rick and I have a baby. He is two weeks and three days old today. Here's how it went down...

Friday, November 7, Rick and I checked into the hospital at 6:00 after enjoying a sandwich from Chick-fil-a (my last meal for a couple days). Once I slipped into my hospital gown, I was hooked up to a fetal monitor and the cervidil thingy was administered. Then, it was time to go to sleep (yeah right). Around 4:00 am Saturday morning, my contractions started to get stronger and closer together. Around 7:30 am, the nurse came to remove the cervidil thingy. At 9:00 they brought in the Pitocin which got me to 2 cm by 9:30 which was when they decided to give me an epidural (I didn't need it yet, but they gave it to me anyway...which was fine :) ). At 10:00, the doctor broke my water and there was no turning back. Everything was peachy-keen until sometime after 12:00 when I started to feel a bit more pressure. Hmm...I thought you didn't feel much with an epidural. What followed was about 6 hours of tortuous hell. The pain was indescribable. So, I won't go into it. I only got to 8 cm when the labor stalled. Much to my relief, my doctor then decided that he was not coming on his own so he said the magic hyphenated word...c-section. So, off to the operating room we went. They had redosed my epidural so many times during labor because it wasn't working so they could give me anymore for surgery so I had to be put under. That meant Rick couldn't be in the room until the baby was out. Which made me a bit sad. To make a long story short, Hunter Benjamin was born on Saturday, November 8 at 7:02 pm. He was 8 pounds and 3 ounces and was 21 1/2 inches long. Once the doctor cut me open he found that Hunter was too long to straighten out and come on his own. That's what I get for marrying someone who is a foot taller than me.

Hunter and I were released from the hospital on Tuesday. We got to leave a day early because I got out of bed so quickly on Sunday (the nurses said I should come back and teach a class on how to get up after a c-section). Since then, we have been enjoying the stew out of our little guy! My parents were in town for a week helping us out (thank God!!). We are so thankful that the baby is healthy and happy. He hardly cries unless he is hungry or wet. He is inquisitive and bright eyed. He is the joy of our lives.

Apple Jack has been a trooper. She is not totally sure if she is in love with Hunter, but she does come to get us when he cries. She's a good Big Sister.

Here are a few pictures from our little adventure.

About to head to the hospital.

Before I was reduced to screaming through my mother's
attempts to get me to do some Lamaze breathing.


Rick waiting to hear his son cry.


Father and son.


Already found his fingers.


Meeting Hunter for the first time.


Hunter, 4 days old.

No comments: